Date: Dec, 2014
Location: Seville, Spain
The Palace of the Countess of Lebrija is a typical Sevillano patio style house originally from the 16th century.
It was bought by Regla Manjón Mergelina (Countess of Lebrija) in 1901, who restored and reconstructed the palace to house her collection of antiquities. She had a passion for archaeology and decided to adorn the palace with artifacts found during her excavations and travels, as well as those bought from other archaeologists. Among them are a spectacular range of Roman treasures with mosaics taken from Italica, most notably the flawless, intricate example on the floor of the main patio, with vignettes showing deities including Pan and Zeus. The arches in the patio are in typical Mudejar style, used by Moors who stayed behind after the Catholic Kings arrived, while the tiles are local Triana azulejos from old convents.
One can also see various Greek, Roman, Etruscan and Persian ceramics, statues and other relics; Louis XIV furniture; jewellery; and other artifacts displayed around the property. The upper floor (where photography is not allowed) features some Asian and Arabic-themed rooms, a library and a family dining room where paintings by Van Dyck and artists of the Murillo school can be seen.
The requested RSS feed cannot be loaded at this time. This XML document is invalid, likely due to invalid characters. XML error: > required at line 2, column 12